The conservation status of a species is an indicator of the likelihood of that endangered species becoming extinct. Many factors are taken into account when assessing the conservation status of a species, including statistics such as the number remaining, the overall increase or decrease in the population over time, breeding success rates, known threats, and so on.The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species is the best-known worldwide conservation status listing and ranking system.
I have wondered how can these lists be made when there are SEVERAL species that have the criteria to be on the list but NEVER make it….but also some species should not even have MADE the list.
TOP 10 ENDANGERED ANIMALS. There are way too many animals that are in danger of extinction, so many are left out, but here is a list of the top 10 most endangered animals in the world in 2013.
HOWEVER, I added 1 to the list because I FEEL THAT THEY ARE ALREADY ON THE LIST but just not documented!!!!!!!!
Here’s the list of the top 10 endangered animals:
1. Ivory-billed Woodpecker– This one may already be extinct due to hunting of its feathers and loss of habitat.
2. Amur Leopard- Only 40 left in the world.
3.Javan Rhinoceros– According to the WWF ,it has been hunted to extinction in Vietnam. The country’s last remaining rhino in the Cat Tien National Park was discovered dead, shot in the leg with its valuable horn cut off, last April. Only between 40 and 60 of the Javan rhino now survive in the world in Indonesia’s Ujung Kulon National Park.
4. Northern Sportive Lemur– Threatened by illegal hunting and habitat loss in Madagascar.
5. Northern Right Whale– Only 350 left.
6. Western Lowland Gorilla– Extinction due to illegal hunting and disease.
7. Leatherback Sea Turtle – Worlds largest turtle, their numbers are dropping at an alarming rate. Humans are taking eggs that are laid on beaches.
8. Hawaiian Monk Seal These seals reside far away from humans, yet their numbers are dropping and scientists are still puzzled as to why. There are less than 1,000 across the islands of Hawaii.
9. Chinese Giant Salamander– Humans in Central and Southern China are eating these amphibians into extinction.
10. Little Dodo Bird– Relative of the big dodo bird, extinction threatens this little bird. Little dodo birds are disappearing due to habitat loss and illegal hunting.
11. THE BLACK MAN – considered a threat to society predominately in white settings, they have been hunted for over 400 years illegally and the numbers seem to go up drastically during the summer months. Mostly in American states there is a major problem but also in the country of Africa they are slaughtered to death. However, in other places AROUND the world, even if they are not able to be “caught and killed” they are verbally mistreated and constantly prejudged.
Lets hope that the endangered SPECIES list goes down in numbers, ESPECIALLY Number 11 because they should have NEVER even made the list! By the way, black men….like Emmett Till, Martin Luther King Jr. and with Trayvon Martin being the latest has UNFORTUNATELY made the list.